Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Fern Scarf


Fern scarf is a very popular scarf. It is slightly more difficult than the regular top down triangular scarf in that it starts with a small rectangle. Stitches are picked up along the sides of the rectangle to work the side (top) borders and the original rectangle is continued down the centre back of the scarf to form the centre panel. The border and centre panel stitches are then repeated in the bottom border.
There are many, many different types of ferns. The most common and the one that I took the border idea from is the "Fiddlehead" fern. This fern has a distinctive arrowhead appearance after the fiddlehead opens - hence the arrowhead lace stitch.



The main stitch is actually a variation of a stitch that had patterning on the return row; but I decided to just purl the return row and work the patterning on the right side only. The stitch resembles the leaves of the maidenhair fern - a very delicate lacey plant that I used to have in the garden. I'm not sure what happened to it. I'm glad that I was able to preserve it in lace.














Fern scarf was knit with Fantastic Knitting Zephyr lace

weight in Bottle Green. I have seen it done in violet - think of evening shadows in the forest - many other colours can be used as well.












No comments:

Post a Comment